A customer recently asked me to make a really girly hat for her toddler and I LOVE how it turned out! It has everything a girly hat needs– a crown, ribbon, and rhinestones! This girly crown hat pattern is for a toddler sized hat.
- Size I crochet hook
- Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in soft pink
- Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in light gray
- Sew-ology rhinestone buttons from Hobby Lobby
- Yarn Needle
- Offray 5/8″ ribbon from Wal-Mart in light pink
- Ch: chain
- Dc: double crochet
- Hdc: half double crochet
- Sl st: slip stitch
- Fdc: foundation double crochet
Round 1: Using size I hook and soft pink yarn, make a magic ring. Ch. 2, crochet 11 dc in ring. Sl st to first dc.
Round 2: Ch 2, dc in same stitch (counts as 2 dc), 2 dc in each stitch around, sl st in first dc.
Round 3: Ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next stitch, 2 dc in next stitch* (repeat from * to *) sl st in first dc.
Round 4: Ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next 2 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch*, sl st in first dc.
Round 5: Ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next 3 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch*, sl st in first dc.
Round 6: Ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next 9 stitches, 2 dc in next stitch*, sl st in first dc.
Round 7-14: Ch 2, dc in same stitch and each stitch around, sl st in first dc.
Round 15: Ch 1, hdc in same stitch and each stitch around, sl st in first hdc.
tie off and weave in loose ends.
The first row of the crown is a foundation double crochet stitch. I like using the foundation double crochet stitch because you don’t get the tightness of the starting chain. I want the crown to have some stretch to it! When I was learning the foundation double crochet stitch I watched this video on YouTube! If the foundation double crochet stitch isn’t something you’re interested in learning you have a couple of options:
- You can use a size up in hook for your starting chain. In this case you would need to use a size J hook.
- You can crochet with your I hook but crochet loosely so your chain doesn’t end up being too tight.
Now, on to the pattern:
Row 1: Ch 3 followed by 62 foundation dc stitches. Sl st in first fdc. At this point I like to take the tail of the starting ch 3 and sew it to the end to get rid of the gap!
Row 2: Ch 2, dc in same st, *ch 1, skip next dc stitch, dc in next 2 dc stitches* (repeat from * to *).
Row 3: Working in ch 1 spaces of previous row, *( 3dc, ch 3, sl st in first ch of ch 3, 3 dc) in first chain 1 space. sl st in next ch 1 space* You will notice there will be one extra chain 1 space-this will be the back of your crown. Sl st in those last 2 dc’s and ch 2 of previous row. Leave a long tail for sewing the crown on the hat!
- Sew rhinestone buttons on crown. (I only used 6 buttons on the front of the crown)
- Weave ribbon in and out of chain 1 spaces.
- Tie ribbon in a bow on the front of the crown.
- Sew crown on and weave in ends.